Sunday, November 8, 2015

Gaming in the Classroom: Making Learning Meaningful and Fun

One thing we are being asked to do as educators is to push or students to higher order thinking - even in Pre - K. From reading the Betrus and Botter article, it was interesting to hear how gaming (if chosen appropriately) gets students to think beyond surface level understanding and push their minds to think more complex about different topics. Oftentimes, different stimulant games put students in roles of other individuals, and by playing the game they are showing their understanding of system components and relationships. As such, the game provides itself not only as the lesson for the students but as an assessment tool as well - without the student feeling the pressure of testing. As teachers, we can look back on the student's performance and ability to play the game to determine whether or not they understand the concept being taught through the game. This article did a great job of breaking down the benefits and complications of gaming in the classroom; however, if implemented appropriately, I think gaming could truly push students to higher level thinking in a way that is engaging and exciting for them. 

While reading this article, I kept thinking about Bloom's Taxonomy and how that can be referred to in order to help us teachers push our students with gaming in the classroom. I found a reference guide for gaming and blooms that incorporates all levels blooms as well as different games that can be implemented to target different orders of thinking. Though stimulant-type games aren't incorporated, this is at least a brief guide that can help us consider the types of games it takes to push students to think at different levels. 

Betrus, A. & Botter, L. (2010). "Principles of playing games for learning."  In Playing Games in School (Ch 2).


zulama.com

Given the Minecraft in Education Article, it is evident that Minecraft can be used in any subject or content area to apply student knowledge. My favorite part was the foreign language bit. What an incredible idea! I enjoyed learning a foreign language, but it was difficult to deeply comprehend and remember all of the vocabulary because we never applied the information. With minecraft, student's are applying the vocabulary and foreign language content to play an interactive game that is engaging and fun for them. It is also purposeful, as they look to survive the game by showing their foreign language knowledge to read and interpret signs and steps of the game. As such, the language is more likely to stick because they're using different modes of application to understand the content. 


www.techtimes.com

This short video clip shows how to incorporate Minecraft in a foreign language class from a teacher's perspective. 

Graphite/Common Sense Media is such an incredible resource for gaming in the classroom! I could not stop exploring different tabs to look for games to use with my pre-kinders. I'm excited to implement several into my lessons this week, including Mr. Nussbaum! Learning And Fun This website covers all content areas and are separated by grade level and content to make it easy to navigate for teachers in order to find the best game for your learners. Another site I really enjoyed was Edheads. I'd never heard of this site before, but found myself playing a weather game for about 10 minutes (so engaging!). What was great about the game I was playing was that although it was weather content, there were literacy (reading and following directions step by step, decoding a map key, etc.) and social studies skills (reading a map, state knowledge) incorporated all within this one game. Though this is for older students, 3rd and up, it is an incredible resource that incorporates a variety of literacy skills in a way that is appealing for students. 



6 comments:

  1. Meghan, I like your video of Minecraft and foreign language learning. I watch my son play Minecraft but really have no idea what he is doing. Watching your video, I could actually see how to teach Spanish words while playing the game. I also chose Mr.Nussbaumi as one of my choices from Graphite/Common Sense Media! Guess great early childhood minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was student teaching in 3rd grade, there were a group of boys who were obsessed with all things Minecraft. I hear students talking about it all. the. time. It's great to see educators and gamers come together to target student interest in order to teach student critical content information.

      Delete
  2. Meghan, I liked the visual you provided for the Blooms Taxonomy and Game Design. It is a great way to break down the information and relate it to that order of thinking. It is clear that gaming in the classroom, whether it is through technology or a hands-on technology free game strengthens the hierarchy of learning for the different levels. Great visual resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how challenging certain games can be for students, without them even realizing it. They use problem solving skills and other essential life-skills that help them create (or play) something meaningful to them.

      Delete
  3. That Bloom critical thinking/gaming visual is stunning. It pulls ideas together in such a simple, profound way. I'm eager to share it with the class as a whole--thanks. I also loved experiencing the mInecraft Spanish lesson. One takeaway about the educational value of these sophisticated games is this: into any gaming activity, teachers can build reflection, analysis, and presentation. All of these require close reading, evidence, extended writing, and multimodal literacy skill use. The link to the history lesson from the KQED article emphasizes this point well, and I think you'll enjoy it if you haven't seen it yet. Finally: So glad you found useful resources on Graphite so quickly. You should follow them and sign-up for their newsletter features. They are always wonderful, and, as the holidays approach, you'll get loads of ideas to help advise parents about tech ins/outs/goods/bads. They are part of Common Sense Media, which offers webinars and runs research projects I think you'd find interesting, including the latest study published last week about the incredibly media-saturated lives of tweens and teens: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/research/the-common-sense-census-media-use-by-tweens-and-teens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghann,

    I love the Bloom's taxonomy visual you shared. It is such a great way to look at gaming in the classroom, and how we can apply higher-level thinking into those lessons. With gaming in the classroom I feel the push now more than ever to connect our lessons and objectives back to the standards and curriculum goals. This is a great way to achieve this with the Blooms levels, especially because this is something we use in the classroom daily. Thanks for the great resource!

    ReplyDelete